Thursday, 12 Nov, 2009 Current Events
50
votes

New Recycling Plant to Convert Diapers to Power

Share

Two British companies, Versus Energy and Knowaste, decided to team up with the goal of creating the world's first diaper recycling facility in the town of West Bromwich in Birmingham, England. The new plant is expected to be built in the Black Coal country, a place that a time ago was considered the heart of the Industrial Revolution.

Organic materials obtained from disposable diapers will produce green energy that will be used to power the facility. Although organic waste in diapers represents just 2 percent of the materials, the remaining 98 percent will be dried, sterilized and then divided into reusable paper pulp and plastic.

It has not yet been announced what will the outcome of the recycling process serve for, but based on Knowaste's knowledge, the obtained material could be used to manufacture roof tiles, shoe insoles, wallpaper as well as industrial thickeners, reports CleanTechnica.

In the near future the company expects to recycle such difficult waste as feminine hygiene products, incontinence products that are used by adults and the disabled, as well as waste from hospitals.

Posted by Maxriter

Comments:

42 votes

//2 Nov 18, 2009 04:57 PM | posted by: Stew [InfoMANIAC]
another great sustainable-industry-related idea.
35 votes

//1 Nov 13, 2009 12:55 PM | posted by: alcotrazz [InfoMANIAC]
Huh! this is an idea! if the Germans use animal "organic waste" (read shit), so why can't we use our own "organic wastes". anyways I'm always FOR making KNO waste and FOR recycling... let's go GREEEN!

Add your comment:



antispam code




TOP 10 NEWS

Blogs

Archive

Information

Discover, share, comment and discuss with us on a variety of interesting stories. A lot of fascinating things are taking place every day around the globe and we welcome you to this world.