Wednesday, 11 Apr, 2007 Politics
46
votes

Suicide Bomber Attack in Afghanistan

Share

A NATO convoy was attacked in Kandahar, a southern province in Afghanistan, by a suicide car bomber. No military casualties were reported, however eight civilians were wounded by the attack.

The convoy was attacked when it was passing the Kandahar western outskirts, which is the heartland of Taliban. This particular region is where the U.S. and NATO keep their military troops.

The province of Kandahar houses troops both from NATO and the U.S. and Canada is the main supplier of soldiers for NATO in the region. Six of its soldiers were killed earlier this week, when a bomb placed on the roadside exploded. It was the deadliest attack in Afghanistan on NATO troops this year.

The year 2006 was the bloodiest year in Afghanistan since the Taliban government was overthrown in 2001. Thus the current year is treated as a decisive period for the three parties fighting for Afghanistan: Taliban, the NATO troops and the government they support.

Most up-to-date news is coming form the Taliban guerillas, who said that they have sent suicide bombers across the country's major cities.

NATO officials said that this year there were 350 civilians killed so far. They were mostly killed in suicide attacks.

www.infoniac.com.

Add your comment:



antispam code